1 furthest or highest in degree or order; utmost or extreme; "the ultimate achievement"; "the ultimate question"; "man's ultimate destiny"; "the ultimate insult"; "one's ultimate goal in life" [ant: proximate]
2 being the last or concluding element of a series; "the ultimate sonata of that opus"; "a distinction between the verb and noun senses of `conflict' is that in the verb the stress is on the ultimate (or last) syllable"
3 being the ultimate or elemental constituents of anything; "the elemental stuff of...out of which the many forms of life have been molded"- Jack London; "the ultimate ingredients of matter"; "his proposal is elegantly simple" [syn: elemental]
last or final in a series
- Italian: ultimo , ultima
greatest or maximum
- Italian: estremo , estrema
The ultimate is the last and final item in a series. The related words penultimate and antepenultimate refer to the second-to-last and the third-to-last item in a series, respectively.
Ultimate may refer to:
- Ultimate (sport), a team disc sport.
- Ultimate Marvel, an imprint of comic books which reimagines and updates various characters.
- The Ultimate, the trancendental reality of which the "relative" world is but a reflection of in some systems of metaphysics and religions.
- Ultimate (album), the title of Prince's 2006 compilation album.
- Ultimate (Bobby Vinton album), the title of Bobby Vinton's 1995 compilation album.
- Ultimate Play The Game, the former name used by Rare, a video game developer.
- The ultimate cause of an event; this is in contrast to the
causation of an event, the naive later steps flowing from the
- In biology, the evolutionary causes for a biological phenomenon, as opposed to the proximate (biology) causes.
- The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, a song by Lemon Demon.
- Windows Vista Ultimate
ultimate in French: Ultimate
ultimate in Indonesian: Ultima
ultimate in Dutch: Ultimate
absolute, acmatic, acme, acme of perfection, apical, apotheosis, approaching, basic, binding, boundary, capital, categorical, caudal, chief, climax, closing, collateral, coming, complete, completing, completive, completory, compulsory, conclude, concluding, conclusive, consummate, consummation, consummative, contingent, crowning, culminating, culmination, deciding, decisive, decretory, definitive, desired, destinal, destined, determinative, determine, determined, dictated, elemental, emergent, empyreal, empyrean, end, endmost, entailed, epitome, essential, eventual, exalted, extrapolated, extreme, farthermost, farthest, farthest off, fatal, fated, fatidic, final, finalizing, finish, finishing, forthcoming, fulfilling, fundamental, furthermost, furthest, future, futuristic, grand, greatest, hard-and-fast, head, headmost, height, hereafter, highest, highest pitch, hindmost, hoped-for, imminent, imperative, imposed, incomparable, indirect, irrevocable, lag, last, last word, later, latest, latter, limiting, lofty, mandated, mandatory, maximal, maximum, meridian, meridional, most distant, must, ne plus ultra, nearing, obligatory, overmost, paramount, peak, peremptory, perfection, pink, pink of perfection, pinnacle, planned, plotted, polar, predicted, preeminent, prescript, prescriptive, primary, probable, projected, prophesied, prospective, quintessence, remotest, required, secondary, sublime, summit, summital, supreme, surpassing, tail, terminal, terminate, terminating, terminative, tip-top, to come, to-be, top, topmost, towering, transcendent, transcendental, underlying, unmatchable, unsurpassable, upmost, uppermost, utmost, uttermost, vertical, wind up, without appeal, wrap up, zenithal